|Attorney Profile (download)
THE LAW OFFICES OF CHARLES MORGAN
815 Moraga Drive, Suite 700
Los Angeles, California 90049
ATTORNEY / COUNSELOR-AT-LAW
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS - FEDERAL / STATE LITIGATION
ENTERTAINMENT & MEDIA - INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW
- STATE BAR OF CALIFORNIA
- STATE BAR OF TEXAS
- NINTH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS
- UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
Central District of California
Southern District of Texas
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT LOS ANGELES
School of Law, Los Angeles, California
Juris Doctor (June 1971)
UCLA Law Review-Associate Editor
- UNIVERSITY OF CHILE, Santiago, Chile
Fulbright Scholar (June 1966 to September 1967)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT BERKELEY, Berkeley, California
Bachelor of Arts-History (June 1966)
Junior Year at UNIVERSITY OF MADRID, Madrid, Spain
Practiced and adept at all aspects of general counsel advisory, entity organization and governance, case work, oral advocacy, litigation and trial interaction; areas of particular competency include-Emerging Technologies, Entertainment and Media, Intellectual Property (IP), Trade Secrets, Commercial Transactions and Business Counseling, International Business Law, Business Start-Up, Antitrust Matters, Appellate Matters, General Commercial Litigation, Immigration and Nationality Law.
Effectively represents interests of clients at motion hearings, depositions, arbitrations, mediations, settlement conferences, administrative hearings, panels, council meetings, trials and congressional hearings; regularly interprets and provides opinions regarding codes, ordinances, regulations, applicable policies, procedures, statutes, common law, constitutional law, risk mitigation, self-interest protection and general-to-specific avoidance of litigation in domestic and international legal environments.
Possesses superior ability at researching, drafting and editing complaints, motions, writs, briefs, memoranda, declarations, reports, summaries, action plans and correspondence; skilled at developing legal strategies, interviewing clients and witnesses, conducting discovery, evaluating claims, aggregating expert testimony and materials, negotiating settlements and employing strategic courtroom tactics.
Strong communication and liaison skills that include practiced interaction with federal and state judges; federal, state, local and international businesses and governments; city organizations; appellate courts; police officials; investigators; corporate boards of directors and executive management groups.
MARTINDALE-HUBBELL Peer Review AV Rated Lawyer-for achieving highest level of
- MARTINDALE-HUBBELL's Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers of America-listed as one of the legal community's most distinguished professionals.
VITAE OF PRIOR WORK HISTORY AND BACKGROUND EXPERIENCE
June 2001 to Present
LAW OFFICES OF CHARLES MORGAN, Los Angeles, California
* Attorney / Litigator
- Presently managing, supervising and coordinating Office's general civil practice with emphasis on international business transactions, emerging technologies, entertainment and media law, intellectual property litigation and immigration/nationality matters.
- Prepares and conducts federal litigation involving copyright infringement. Appears before guild arbitration panels. Defends / prosecutes on behalf of business clients in state and federal courts.
- Represents clients involved in Internet advertising, made-for-television movie production and employment systems software, content aggregation and career product merchandising.
June 1993 to June 2001
HALLMARK ENTERTAINMENT NETWORKS, Denver, Colorado
* Senior Vice-President
* General Counsel / Director of Business Affairs
- Managed, prioritized and directed the origination and licensing of Network's new international cable television channel in 62 countries.
- Researched, sourced and built relationships with CEO's of better-established channels. Negotiated joint venture agreements to secure integration of major satellite delivery and channel carriage platforms.
- Set-up branch offices and technical facilities in Mexico City, Buenos Aires and Manila.
- Prepared financial analyses and projections. Designed and regulated operations to comply with treaties against double taxation.
January 1977 to June 1993
MCA / UNIVERSAL PICTURES DISTRIBUTION / UNIVERSAL CITY STUDIOS, Los Angeles, California
* General Counsel
* Senior Vice President
- Structured, managed and prosecuted large antitrust docket from consultation through discharge.
- Worked regularly with distribution team, investigators, experts and law enforcement officials to ensure compliance under Justice Department decrees that barred anti-competitive practices in the licensing of theatrical motion pictures.
- Applied extensive courtroom experience to matters undertaken by the Studio. Innovated/utilized litigation and lobbying in pursuit of copyright protection worldwide.
- Originated litigation in federal courts. Interacted with members of Congress. Appeared at congressional hearings. Presented briefing materials to State Department and Trade Representative officials. Spoke frequently in a range of public forums in support of strengthening US and foreign country copyright protection.
- Played key role in delineating, applying and fortifying Studio's budget process and controls.
- Served as Member of Board-of-Directors on Netherlands companies licensing filmed entertainment worldwide.
- April 1975 to January 1977
McCUTCHEN, BLACK, VERLEGER & SHEA (Now BINGHAM McCUTCHEN)
Los Angeles, California
- April 1973 to April 1975
SHEARER & FIELDS (Now GREENBERG GLUSKER)
Los Angeles, California
- January 1971 to April 1973
BAKER & BOTTS
Houston, Texas / Mexico City, Mexico
- Attorney-International Business Transactions
One-year posting at SANTAMARINA Y STETA, Mexico's largest law firm
- June to September 1970
COVINGTON & BURLING, Washington, DC
- Summer Intern-Law Clerk to Former Secretary of State Dean C. Acheson
PRESS COVERAGE/ PUBLIC SPEAKING
- Represented individuals seeking asylum in the United States and in defense against deportation. Argued cases before the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and the Ninth Circuit
Court of Appeals
- THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, New York, NY
"Film-Studio Acts to Foil Pirates of US Hit Movies"
- CENTRO DE ESTUDIOS PENALES, Buenos Aires, Argentina
"Protection of Audio and Visual Works under United States and Argentine Law"
- SYMPOSIUM CONVENED BY ATTORNEY GENERAL OF MEXICO, Mexico City, Mexico
"Protection of US Copyrighted Works in Mexico"
- SYMPOSIUM CONVENED BY GOVERNMENT OF SOUTH KOREA, Seoul, South Korea
"Invoking International Copyright Treaties Under Korean Law"
- UCLA SCHOOL OF LAW / ANDERSON SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
Los Angeles, California
"Joint Strategies for International Protection of US Intellectual Property"
- Organizer/Keynote Speaker of two-day seminar featuring speakers and representatives from the Motion Picture Association of America, the Recording Industry Association of America and the Business Software Alliance
- US HOUSE COMMITTEE ON ENERGY AND COMMERCE, Washington, DC
"Trade Sanctions and Protection of US Intellectual Property in Latin America and Southeast Asia"
- Prepared testimony followed by questions and answers
- Bilingual-English/Spanish (Fluent in reading, writing and comprehension.)
- AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION, Washington, DC
- CALIFORNIA STATE BAR ASSOCIATION/Intellectual Property Section, Sacramento, California
- MEXICAN AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION (MABA), Los Angeles, California
- AMERICAN IMMIGRATION LAWYERS ASSOCIATION (AILA), Washington, DC
- PACIFIC COUNCIL ON INTERNATIONAL POLICY, Los Angeles, California